Have you ever looked in your fridge wondering, what the heck am I going to make for lunch? Here’s a quick take on a salad bowl, nesting in a vibrant cabbage shell, topped with a spicy peanut sauce that packs a big punch!
During our weekly shopping trip, a fresh red cabbage immediately caught our attention. We’ve been trying to incorporate more vegetables into our diet and thought we would make our own take on a salad bowl. Salads can often be boring and bland, while keeping you longing for more. Our spicy cabbage bowls have a diverse flavor profile and an abundance of textures to keep your taste buds engaged. We used red cabbage, lettuce, carrots, radishes, sprouts and topped it with avocado. The spicy thai peanut sauce provides a rich, peanut flavor that can really spice up your mundane salad. Fold the bowl up like a taco, take a bite and enjoy your healthy, satisfying lunch!
Fun fact: Red cabbage get their distinctive color from a pigment called anthocyanin. Anthocyanins act as antioxidants, helping to repair damaged cells and lowering your risk of cancer.
Steps (Cabbage Bowl)
1. Remove 2-3 outermost layers of the red cabbage and rinse and dry for each bowl
2. Add cut vegetables like lettuce, carrots, radishes and sprouts to the inside of the bowl
3. Top with sliced avocados and spicy peanut sauce
Ingredients (Spicy Peanut Sauce)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
2 serrano chilis (cut)
0.5 cup unsweetened coconut milk
0.75 cup peanut butter
3 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
Steps (Spicy Peanut Sauce)
1. Cut the serrano chilis in half. Keep the seeds if you want that extra kick, if you want a milder sauce, remove the seeds
2. Add all ingredients except the coconut milk and vinegar into a food processor and pulse until smooth
3. Add coconut milk and vinegar and pulse until all ingredients are mixed
Spice up your life and try our spicy cabbage bowls! You can add leftover chicken, sliced deli meats, rice, quinoa or an endless variety of your favorite ingredients. Make it your own and let us know what your favorite combinations are!